Staging a Coup
VEGAN CUPCAKES TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
By Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
This. Is. My. Favorite. Cookbook. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I kind of thought it was a joke 2 years ago when I got it for my birthday. My vegan friend Chrissy with her insatiable sweet tooth and not-so-hidden agenda: to make me a cruelty free baker. She also sent me a super awesome retro apron– Chrissy makes great birthday packages…
Now, years later, there is a large rubber band that holds the book together and you can see the various stickies. Its become such a staple, its a rare day that I bake cake that isn’t vegan. Thats right this book kicks the poor unknowing bum of every Joy-of-Cooking-Martha-Stewart-Paula-Dean-Betty-Crocker dessert cook book you can find me. So if in fact Vegan cupcakes were to stage a coup…I’m on their side.
TOP 5 Reasons this Book is Righteous:
1. AWESOME!! Every recipe I’ve tried has come out AWESOME. There are 75 recipes–including ganache, different glazes, frostings, let alone tons of cake. And you’d never know it was vegan if the cat wasn’t let out of the bag.
2. FO’ REAL! These recipes aren’t just a bunch of “replace the egg with applesauce” kinds of lists. Each cupcake was built from the ground up with super culinary prowess. Yes its possible to reinvent the cake, and no it doesn’t need eggs or butter. (psst!! Soymilk is cheaper than eggs and butter–so its economical too!!)
3. CAKE IS NOT PREDJUDICE. Vegan isn’t just for the strict vegetarians. Vegan baking is ideal for those who are lactose intolerant, have egg allergies-(its more common that you think) and this book offers some low-fat, low-sugar, and gluten-free varieties as well. In short this book proves EVERYONE can have cake and eat it too.
4. COLOR OUTSIDE THE LINES. This book will expand you’re culinary palate. Green tea matcha powder, non- hydrogenated shortening, rosewater, chocolate extract…Most of these were not on my radar till this book came along. Who knows what kind of great inspriration you’ll find using these flavorings!
5. PI? Every recipe works out to exactly 12 cupcakes–How did they do it??
Recipes to try in no particular order:
- Hazelnut Creme Cupcakes. Sooo good its unholy.
- Mucho Margarita Si! Its made with Tequila!
- Chocolate Stout. Tell any beer-enjoying gent you make cupcakes with Guiness in them, and he’ll be your main squeeze in no time…Just ask my boyfriend.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip is so good I want to dress up like one for Halloween.
- Apple Cider makes you wish Summer were over.
I could go on but I’d just continue to steal the thunder of this book. Get at any major bookseller or click here